NEW YORK -- Star Phillies shortstop
In any case, most experts see this as a much tighter series than that.
The Yankees and Phillies offer the game's two best and deepest lineups, two true ace pitchers, several more talented starters and a pair of star closers (now that
Before making your own call, here are some things to consider that you may or may not know ...
Manny's plan to stay should come as no surprise the Dodgers. Dodgers people have said all along they expect Ramirez to pick up the option.
It's interesting to look at how much he improved his lot by forcing the trade to L.A. in the summer of 2008.
Had Ramirez simply stayed in Boston and played out his old contract, the Red Sox almost certainly would have declined what was a $20 million team option in that contract. So with the extra $5 million he made this year ($25 million instead of the $20 million in the old contract), he will have profited by $25 million by forcing a trade last season.
Not that anyone condones the way he went about forcing the trade to L.A..
The Diamondbacks are planning to pick up Brandon Webb's $8.5 million option now that he's turned down their other compromise offers. Arizona was hoping Webb would be willing to share the "risk'' -- to accept a slightly lower guarantee with incentives that could push him past $10 million. But Webb said no to that.
The D-backs also offered to add an option for 2010, but he turned that down, too. So he'll be a D-back in 2010, but will become a free agent after the '10 season.
• The Red Sox would still love to make a run at
• The Red Sox were thought to have offered
• The Cardinals' grand plan to sign both
• The Mets are hiring
• When respected longtime baseball man
• The Mariners and Brewers are expected to be in the mix for
• While the Yankees are leaning to a three-man rotation, "it isn't set in stone,'' pitching coach
• Yankees manager
• OK, now that he's been hired as Cardinals hitting coach, it's time for