Will Bolt be at Jamaican team trials; three bid for 2018 Games
Last month, the Olympic champ in the 100 and 200 meters pulled out of the Adidas Grand Prix meeting in New York because of an injury to his Achilles.
• He may be the greatest rower in history, but
The non-stop relay race began on June 9 in California and ended on Monday in Maryland, with a journey more than 3,000 miles across 14 states. Redgrave and his six relay teammates were racing for the rower's own charity, the Steven Redgrave Fund and Sport Relief, which offers sports equipment to young athletes.
Kirchen, 31, is a six-time sportsman of the year in Luxembourg, a country better known for strong ski teams. He placed seventh in the 2008 Tour de France, after wearing the leader's yellow jersey for four stages. Kirchen now rides for the Russian-based Team Katusha and spent the previous three seasons with the U.S.-based T-Mobile team.
• The international sports world lost one of its more mercurial and polarizing figures last weekend when Pakistan's
Chowdhry and his committee were rocked by scandal throughout his tenure, which ran from 1986 to 2006. He was charged with misappropriation of funds and banned for life from AIBA in 2006.
AIBA was also rocked by charges of officiating that was either corrupt or merely inept. In 1988, American
Cities that won the rights to hold world championships, where he often fell asleep at the arenas, were required to provide him with first-class travel to and from their city, and business-class tickets for some other AIBA members.
• As expected, the IOC rubber-stamped all three cities bidding for the 2018 Winter Olympics -- Annecy, Munich and Pyeongchang -- onto the next round of consideration. With only three cities bidding for those Games, to be chosen in Durban, South Africa, in July, 2011, it was considered highly unlikely that the IOC would eliminate one of them this week. However, the committee did say that Annecy needed to review its concept, noting that the bid was less compact than the others.
It shouldn't be a surprise that Annecy would be considered an outsider for the bidding. Paris is expected to make another strong bid to host the 2024 Summer Olympics, in recognition of the 100th anniversary of the last time the city held the Games, and the selection of a French city for a Winter Games in the interim would hurt Paris' chances to lure the bigger prize. For that reason, some members of the French Olympic movement are said to harbor private lukewarm feelings towards Annecy's candidature.
• The International Skating Union on Monday awarded the 2013 World Championships to London, Ontario, a decision that should make at least one dance pair want to dance some more.
Though the pair is slated to compete on the Grand Prix next season, they have not committed to a run at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi. The 2013 Worlds serve as the qualification competition for countries to earn Olympic quota places the following season. The next two world championships are slated for Tokyo and Nice.
• Two-time Olympic champion fencer