The New York City Marathon has reduced the number of slots available for charity runners for this year's race in wake of changes post-Superstorm Sandy.
The New York City Marathon has reduced the number of slots available for charity runners for this year's race, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Last year, anyone who had registered for the 2012 race -- which was canceled because of Superstorm Sandy -- was permitted buy a spot in 2013. As a result, some charities were not able to find enough new runners to fill all of their slots, as many runners were admitted to the race automatically.
About two-thirds of the charity runners who had registered for 2012 elected to run last year, and many of the ones who did not also elected not to raise money.
The nonprofit New York Road Runners, which organizes the race, told The Wall Street Journal there will be about 7,000 charity runners that participate this year, which is several hundred fewer than in the years prior to Superstorm Sandy. The roster of charity partners was also reduced from 320 to 290.
“We want partners to have a positive experience with the race. The last thing we want is a charity to take spots and not be able to recruit runners," said Michael Rodgers, the vice president of development and philanthropy for NYRR.
Other changes to the race this year include more modest fundraising projections and an "intense competition for entrants and dollars among the participating charity organizations," according to the WSJ.
The 2014 New York City Marathon will be held on Nov. 2.
- Molly Geary