Lakers legend Kobe Bryant died Sunday in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, Calif. He was 41.
Through the years, Bryant was featured on countless Sports Illustrated covers.
Kobe Bryant's SI covers
April 27, 1998
May 31, 1999
November 1, 1999
May 29, 2000
June 12, 2000
June 25, 2001
June 10, 2002
March 3, 2003
July 28, 2003
May 17, 2004
July 26, 2004
April 21, 2008
June 16, 2008
October 27, 2008
June 22, 2009
July 19, 2010
February 21, 2011
October 21, 2013
August 25, 2014
October 26, 2015
The 18–time All-Star and 11-time All-NBA first Team led the Lakers to five NBA championships and scored 33,643 points in his 20-year NBA career. He retired from the Lakers after the 2015-16 season after spending his entire career with the franchise. The Lakers retired his No. 8 and No. 24 jersey numbers in December 2017.
On Saturday night, LeBron James surpassed Bryant on the NBA's all-time scoring list. After the game, James expressed his appreciation of Bryant and said, "I'm happy just to be in any conversation with Kobe Bean Bryant, one of the all-time greatest basketball players to ever play, one of the all-time greatest Lakers. The man has two jerseys hanging up in Staples Center. It's just crazy."
More Coverage of Kobe Bryant's Death:
- Kobe Bryant, Daughter Die in California Helicopter Crash
- For the Bryant Family, An Unimaginable Loss
- Kobe Bryant Left His Mark as a Generational Hero
- Sports World Reacts to Kobe Bryant's Sudden Death
- Remembering Kobe Bryant: Sports Illustrated Covers Through the Years
- Spurs-Raptors Open Game With Shot Clock Violations to Honor Kobe
- Shaq Reflects on Kobe's Passing: "There’s No Words to Express the Pain"