NBA draft rumors: Latest news, trades, first round buzz
The NBA draft is less than a week away, and the rumor mill has begun to heat up. With the pool of eligible players set, teams continue to conduct workouts and do their diligence evaluating prospects and preparing for the big night. The NBA Finals are also in full swing, but draft prep is still moving along behind the scenes.
Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram remain locked in as consensus top two selections, but beyond that, there’s plenty of room for chaos. Teams are trying to move up, and in some cases, into the draft, period.
Who’s rising? Who’s falling? Who wants to make a deal?
Keep tabs on this page for the latest news and rumors.
• The 76ers had their first meeting with Simmons on Thursday, reports ESPN’s Marc Stein. Simmons has declined to work out for the 76ers or other teams, but is widely expected to be selected with Philadelphia’s No. 1 overall pick.
• Despite reports that Providence point guard Kris Dunn wants to play for the Minnesota Timberwolves, he said in an interview on Thursday with The Times-Picayune that New Orleans would be a “great place” to play if the Pelicans were to select him with the No. 6 pick. The Timberwolves hold the No. 5 pick.
• Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield will work out for the Lakers on Saturday, reports Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times.
• Syracuse forward Malachi Richardson worked out for the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday alongside five other draft prospects, and he has drawn interest from the team that holds the No. 10 pick in the draft, reports Rick Braun of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. In SI’s latest mock draft, Richardson does not get selected in the first round.
• Celtics general manager Danny Ainge met with agent Jeff Schwartz this week, reports Real GM’s Andrew Perna. Schwartz represents Kevin Love and pending free agent Harrison Barnes as well as prospects Brandon Ingram and Ognjen Jaramaz.
• The Pacers will hold a workout on Friday for Cheick Diallo, Brice Johnson, Yogi Ferrell, Georges Niang, Ante Zizic and Kyle Collinsworth, reports Michael Scotto of Sheridan Hoops.
• The Kings will work out Ryan Anderson, Robert Brown, Tyler Harris, Stefan Jankovic, Retin Obasohan, Jamari Traylor on Friday, reports Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders.
• The Charlotte Hornets will host Weber State's Joel Bolomboy and Australian Thon Maker in their Pre-Draft workouts tomorrow. A Western Conference scout told Woelfel's Press Box that Maker could go anywhere from eight to 12. The Milwaukee Bucks have also been keeping close tabs on Maker.
• The 76ers don't have a workout scheduled with Dragan Bender yet, according to Philly Mag's Derek Bodner.