The latest news and rumors from the NBA off-season including the Celtics trying to trade the No. 3 pick for Jimmy Butler, and Dwight Howard declining his player option.
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The Cleveland Cavaliers are celebrating their NBA title with a championship parade on Wednesday, but the rest of the league has shifted their attention to Thursday's draft and the start of free agency on July 1.
Check out the latest NBA news and rumors below.
• LeBron James told ESPN’s Dave McMenamin that he will return to the Cleveland Cavaliers next season.
• The Los Angeles Lakers plan to take Brandon Ingram with the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, reports ESPN’s Chad Ford and Ramona Shelburne.
• The Philadelphia 76ers have promised to take Ben Simmons with the No. 1 overall pick, according to Chris Haynes of Cleveland.com.
• The Boston Celtics have been trying to trade their No. 3 draft pick for a veteran player, but have been rejected by at least three teams, reports ESPN’s Marc Stein. Boston made offers for Bulls guard Jimmy Butler, Jazz guard Gordon Hayward and Bucks teammates Jabari Parker and Khris Middleton.
• Gordon Hayward has not demanded a trade and will not be traded despite reports, according to the Deseret News’ Jody Genessy.
• Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue told ESPN’s Mike & Mike that he expects forward Kevin Love to be back with the team next season.
• Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard has declined his player option, making him an unrestricted free agent, reports The Vertical’s Shams Charania.
• The Pistons, Magic and Lakers are all expected to pursue Al Horford in free agency this summer, reports ESPN’s Marc Stein.
• San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili has declined his player option for next season, reports Charania.
• The Pistons and Bucks will pursue Matthew Dellavedova in free agency, reports ESPN’s Brian Windhorst.