NBA rumors: Blake Griffin, Gordon Hayward potential targets for Celtics
The NBA draft is a week away, and teams and prospects are finishing up a busy period of workouts, research and evaluation. The rumor mill continues to buzz as usual, particularly near the top of the draft, where there are multiple scenarios in play.
Free agency opens July 1 when the new league year turns over and the new collective bargaining agreement comes into effect.
Here’s a look at the latest news and rumors from around the league.
• Blake Griffin and Gordon Hayward could be in play for the Boston Celtics in free agency. Both players have opt-out clauses they could exercise in July. (Yahoo! Sports)
• Paul George says he expects to play out his contract with the Pacers this season. (Nate Taylor, Indianapolis Star)
• Derrick Rose's agent says his client wants to re-sign with the New York Knicks. (Bleacher Report)
• The Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers could be destinations for LeBron James in free agency down the line. (Yahoo! Sports)
• Kansas forward Josh Jackson visited with the Sacramento Kings, while projected No. 1 pick Markelle Fultz has decided not to work out for Sacramento. (Sacramento Bee)
• The Dallas Mavericks have emerged as serious contenders to sign Jrue Holiday and his brother Justin. (SI.com)
• Golden State Warriors adviser Jerry West will the Clippers front office in a similar role.
• The Philadelphia 76ers exercised their contract option on forward Robert Covington. Covington will make $1.6 million next season.
• The Knicks are zeroed-in on French guard Frank Ntilikina with the eighth pick. (New York Daily News)