Stay up to date on the latest news and rumors from around The Association.
As the Feb. 7 trade deadline approaches, the NBA has been sent into a frenzy over the report that Pelicans star Anthony Davis wants out of New Orleans and has requested a trade.
Davis had his representatives express that he has no intention of a signing the supermax contract extension worth $240 million that he would be in line for this summer, and it is not a lock that he will be dealt before next week's deadline.
The Lakers are at the forefront of teams that could potentially swing a deal for Davis, with LeBron James having made his admiration for the versatile center far from a secret.
Davis won’t be usurped as the headliner of this trading season, but there are other expiring contracts to monitor and other key players that could be on the move.
Check out the latest news and rumors around the league below.
• If the Lakers and Pelicans continue trade talks around Anthony Davis, Lonzo Ball's camp would prefer a third team get involved because he doesn't want to go to a team that already has an established point guard. (Shams Charania, The Athletic)
• If the Lakers get Anthony Davis, Klay Thompson could turn his attention toward signing in Los Angeles if the Warriors don't offer him a max contract this offseason. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN.com)
• Anthony Davis is expected to soon inform teams that his preferred destination is the Lakers and if he gets traded anywhere else, it would just be a rental until 2020. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN.com)
• The Pelicans plan to listen to offers on Anthony Davis but won't make a deal before the NBA trade deadline unless they're offered an overwhelming package for Davis. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN.com)
• The Lakers, Knicks, Bucks and Raptors are expected to make trade offers for Davis ahead of the deadline. (Kevin O'Connor, The Ringer)
• The Kings do not have interest in the Grizzlies center Marc Gasol at this time. (James Ham, NBC Bay Area)
• The Knicks have explored trading Tim Hardaway Jr.'s contract to open up cap space and have looked into trading basically everyone on the roster besides Kristaps Porzingis, Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson. (Marc Berman, New York Post)
• Pelicans forward Nikola Mirotic and guard E’Twaun Moore have also been made available in trades. (Kevin O'Connor, The Ringer)
• There is growing uncertainty about whether Kyrie Irving will re-sign with the Celtics this offseason. (Chris Haynes, Yahoo Sports)
• The Lakers will likely need to start trade negotiations for Anthony Davis by offering Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Ivica Zubac and a first-round pick. (Brad Turner, Los Angeles Times)
• Carmelo Anthony just wants "to be happy" with his next team, and the Bulls are planning to trade or waive him by the deadline. (ESPN.com)