Associated Press

Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte said Thursday that he is seeking a contract extension but does not intend to holdout from training camp.

By SI Wire
April 30, 2015

Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte said Thursday that he is seeking a contract extension but does not intend to holdout from training camp.

Speaking on WSCR-AM 670, Forte said he told new general manager Ryan Pace that "I wouldn’t hold any grudges or anything. Everybody says you could hold out and use it as leverage. I’m not that type of dude to do that at this point," according to the Chicago Tribune.

Forte is entering the final year of a four-year, $32 million extension signed prior to the 2012 season. He has spent seven seasons in Chicago since being selected in the second round of the 2008 draft out of Tulane.

• Top 300 draft prospects

From the Tribune:

“I understand both sides,” Forte said. “And you have to as a player. Everybody likes to use the cliché saying, ‘Oh, it’s a business.’ But then when the player wants to make a business decision or treat it as a business, then he’s wrong. Or he gets pointed out as the bad guy.”

Earlier this week Forte posted a message on Instragram to clarify that he is not skipping voluntary workouts in the interest of generating leverage in contract negotiations. Instead, Forte wrote, he is not present because "I'm finishing my third week of rigorous speed training."

He added, "If the Bears want to give me a contract ext. they will; if they don't they won't. I'm not mad or holding a grudge."

Last season Forte rushed for 1,038 yards on 3.9 yards per carry, his lowest mark since 2009, when he posted 3.6 yards per carry.​ He will turn 30 in December.

• NFL rumors: Latest buzz ahead of draft | Overratedunderrated prospects

You May Like