Browns parting ways with offensive line coach Andy Moeller
CLEVELAND (AP) The Browns and suspended offensive line coach Andy Moeller have ended their association.
Moeller, who was recently investigated for an alleged domestic assault against his fiancee at his home in Berea, Ohio, and the Browns have ''mutually agreed to part ways, effective immediately,'' the team said Tuesday in a joint statement with the assistant coach's agent, Paul Sheehy.
''While no charges were filed in connection with the recent accusations asserted against him, and which Andy vehemently denies, he has advised the Browns that he desires to devote his full attention and focus on his family,'' the statement said. ''Andy states that this was a difficult decision but the right one for him, his family, and the Club at this point in time.''
Berea prosecutor Jim Walters reviewed the incident and decided not to press any charges against Moeller, who was indefinitely suspended by the Browns two days after Sandra Lucci filed a complaint against the coach.
Lucci told a police dispatcher on a 9-1-1 call that Moeller ''tried to strangle me and beat me up.'' She said Moeller had been violent in the past, and Walters said in his review that alcohol contributed to the Sept. 5 incident.
The Browns indefinitely suspended Moeller two days later and said last week that they were maintaining the ban following Walters' findings.
Moeller was in his second season on Mike Pettine's staff with Cleveland. The 51-year-old was suspended for two games in 2011 while with Baltimore for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy following a drunken driving conviction.
Assistant line coach George DeLeone has been filling in for Moeller, who played and coached at Michigan. He joined the Ravens in 2008 and spent six seasons with the club.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL