See the latest news and rumors around the NFL heading into Week 8.
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The Arizona Cardinals defeated the Baltimore Ravens, 26–18, on Monday Night Football to cap another exciting week of NFL action. The Ravens, Tennessee Titans and Detroit Lions are the only teams with just one win, while the Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals and New England Patriots are the league’s remaining undefeated teams.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The Lions fired offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and two offensive line coaches, the team announced Monday. Quarterbacks coach Jim Bob Cooter has now taken over as offensive coordinator, and tight ends coach Ron Prince is now the offensive line coach. The Lions have a bye next week, but elected to make the move before the team travels to London to take on the Kansas City Chiefs.
• The firing of Lombardi might not be the last change this season for the Lions. Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free Press thinks the firing of Lombardi is just a “small axe,” and surmises that other changes are on the horizon.
• The Houston Texans lost Arian Foster to a torn Achilles, but the team doesn’t plan on adding another running back, reports the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. The Texans have Alfred Blue, Jonathan Grimes and Chris Polk on their active roster, and Kenny Hilliard on the practice squad.
• The Titans are planning on giving running back Antonio Andrews more touches as the season goes on, reports The Tennessean. Andrews, an undrafted free agent, appears to have surpassed former second rounder Bishop Sankey as the team’s starter.
• Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Phillip Dorsett will have surgery for a leg fracture, reports Pro Football Talk. The expected recovery time is four to six weeks, which means Dorsett could return before the end of the season.
• Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy found himself in hot water over his sideline antics during the team’s game Sunday. Now, NFL.com reports Hardy missed practice last week and didn’t tell the Cowboys why he was out.