Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed on Friday to 105.3 The Fan that quarterback Tony Romo will be out for the remainder of the season after sustaining a hairline fracture to his collarbone in Thursday’s 33–14 loss the the Carolina Panthers.
ESPN’s Ed Werder initially reported Thursday that Romo’s first X-rays were inconclusive, but that the quarterback was expected to be out for the season. Mickey Spagnola of DallasCowboys.com reported Friday that the fracture was over the calcified area on Romo’s collarbone that was previously broken.
The quarterback missed seven games earlier this season with a broken left clavicle. The Cowboys went 0–7 in Romo’s absence.
Romo, 35, has sustained three fractures on his left clavicle over the past five years.
Romo was sacked at the end of the third quarter of Thursday’s game, landing hard on his left shoulder. Trainers attended to Romo on the field before he walked off favoring his left arm. He was immediately taken to the locker room for X-rays.
After the game, head coach Jason Garrett said he was still hopeful Romo would be able to return this season, though that outlook seems increasingly unlikely after Friday’s report.
“If Tony’s ready to play, he’s going to play,” Garrett said.
Matt Cassel came in to replace Romo in the fourth quarter and went 13 for 19, throwing for 93 yards and one touchdown.