St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher said wide receiver Stedman Bailey’s NFL career could be over after he was shot in the head last month.
Bailey sustained two gunshot wounds to the head on Nov. 24, and is in stable condition but still recovering in a Florida hospital after undergoing extensive surgery.
On Monday, Fisher affirmed that Bailey may never return to the field, but said the receiver's recovery has demonstrated his resolve.
“There’s a chance he doesn’t play (again),” Fisher said. “However, based on what he’s done over the last 10 days, he may surprise everybody.”
Bailey, 25, is in his third season with the Rams after being selected by St. Louis in the third round of the 2013 NFL draft. He has caught 59 passes for 843 yards through 38 career games, including eight starts.
Monday marked the end of Bailey’s four-game suspension for a violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy. He will now likely be placed on the non-football injury list.
- Erin Flynn