A list of key dates as the focus shifts to the 2016 NFL season.
With the Denver Broncos claiming a Super Bowl victory Sunday, the 2015 season is in the books.
Now all 32 NFL teams will shift their focus to 2016, with the hopes that they can be the ones raising the Lombardi Trophy come next February. Of course, much remains to be done between now and the start of the 2016 regular season.
Here is a list of some important dates before the start of next season:
- Feb. 23–29: NFL Scouting Combine.
- March 1: Deadline for teams to designate Franchise or Transition players.
- March 7–9: Teams can negotiate contracts with agents of players who will be unrestricted free agents.
- March 9: The 2016 league year begins. Players can be signed and traded.
- April 4: Teams with new head coaches can start off-season workout programs.
- April 18: Teams with returning head coaches can start off-season workout programs.
- April 28–30: The NFL Draft takes place.
- May 6–9: Teams can hold rookie minicamps.
- July 15: Deadline for teams that designated a franchise player to sign player to contract or extension.
- Mid-July: Teams can begin training camp for rookies one week prior to earliest allowed reporting date for veteran players.
The 2016 NFL regular season will kickoff in September, with the defending champion Broncos likely to host another team in the season opener.