AP Source: O-lineman Anthony Davis to file for NFL return
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) Former 49ers right tackle Anthony Davis plans to file for reinstatement after he retired in June last year following a head injury, a person with direct knowledge of his decision said.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because no move had been completed. Davis had always left open the possibility of making a comeback after sitting out a year to get healthy, and San Francisco still has his rights.
The 49ers' 11th overall pick in the 2010 draft out of Rutgers was affected by a concussion late in the 2014 season.
On June 5 at age 25, Davis announced his retirement from the Niners in another surprising 2015 offseason departure for the team. He became the fourth prominent 49ers player to retire in a three-month span - joining linebackers Patrick Willis and Chris Borland and defensive end Justin Smith. The announcement came four days before the team's mandatory June minicamp, and he hadn't participated in the organization's offseason program.
Davis said in early December 2014 that he was able to drive home following a cross-country flight from New York in November that year despite feeling ''loopy'' from a concussion he didn't initially realize was so severe.
Davis was experiencing symptoms after he took an elbow to the head during the Nov. 16 victory over the Giants. He missed the next four games before returning for San Francisco's last two contests. The 49ers missed the playoffs after three straight trips and a Super Bowl loss after the 2012 season, then parted ways with now-Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh.
Davis started all 71 games in which he had appeared, as well as eight playoff games.
Last month, Davis responded to a question on Twitter about a return to the 49ers with, ''Guaranteed.'' In August, he posted this on Twitter: ''When I return I'll be the best RT in the league again. Hands Down. (hash)KnowYourself.''
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL