Latest news from the NFL off-season and more.
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
NFL free agency is set to kick off when the new league year starts on Wednesday, but on Monday the football world was focused on Denver, where Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning announced his retirement after 18 seasons. Manning retires as the NFL’s career leader in passing yards and touchdown passes.
Check out the latest news from the NFL off-season below.
• The Los Angeles Rams expressed “mild interest” in acquiring Manning earlier this off-season, but they wouldn’t guarantee him a starting job, reports the MMQB’s Peter King.
• The Broncos offered quarterback Brock Osweiler a three-year, $45 million deal, reports Mike Klis of 9News. But Osweiler is receiving interest from several other teams, including the Texans. Houston is expected to call Osweiler’s agent to talk about a potential deal, reports Pro Football Talk’s Darin Gantt.
• The New York Giants will release wide receiver Victor Cruz if he refuses to take a pay cut, reports ESPN’s Ed Werder.
• Rams running back Tre Mason was arrested for reckless driving, marijuana possession and resisting arrest, according to a police report obtained by WSVN-TV’s Frank Guzman.
• The New York Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick are “far apart” on a potential deal, reports the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.
• Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith was named the head coach of the Illinois Fighting Illini, the school announced.
• Bucs offensive lineman Logan Mankins will retire, reports Rapoport.