Latest news from the NFL off-season and more.
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
NFL free agency arrived Wednesday afternoon and with it came a flurry of signings. The Philadelphia Eagles remain one of the biggest movers so far, trading Kiko Alonso, Byron Maxwell and DeMarco Murray, while adding Brandon Brooks, Rodney McLeod, Chase Daniel, Ron Brooks, Nigel Bradham and Leodis McKelvin.
Check out the latest NFL rumors below.
• The Houston Texans struck the most surprising move of the first day of free agency, signing former Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler. His contract is reportedly worth $72 million with $37 guaranteed in the first two years.
• The Texans also signed running back Lamar Miller away from the Miami Dolphins. Miller’s four-year contract is worth $26 million, reports the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.
• The Oakland Raiders signed Sean Smith to a four-year, $40 million deal with $20 million guaranteed, Rapoport reports.
• The New York Jets lost running back Chris Ivory to the Jacksonville Jaguars, but signed Matt Forte. The New York Daily News reports Forte’s three-year deal is worth $12 million with $8 million guaranteed.
• The largest contract of the first day of free agency went to defensive end Olivier Vernon. The Giants made him the highest paid defensive end in the NFL, giving him a five-year, $85 million deal with $52.5 million guaranteed, reports Sports Illustrated’s Peter King.
• Tom Brady’s new contract with the New England Patriots provides some insurance in case of a suspension over Deflategate. Mike Florio of NBC Sports reports that Brady will lose roughly $236,000 instead of $2.11 million if he’s suspended for four games.
• The New Orleans Saints lost tight end Ben Watson, but signed former Indianapolis Colts tight end Coby Fleener. Rapoport reports Fleener’s deal is for five-years and worth roughly $36 million.