Ravens release Eugene Monroe
The Baltimore Ravens have released left tackle Eugene Monroe, the team announced Wednesday.
“I will not be returning to the Ravens this season. It’s never easy moving on - I love Baltimore and its fans - but this is all part of the game,” Monroe said in a statement on Twitter on Thursday. “Despite the current uncertainties, one thing is for sure: whatever happens in terms of my professional football career, I will never stop pushing for the League to accept medical cannabis as a viable option for pain management.”
Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said Tuesday the team was working on a trade for the eight-year NFL veteran. Monroe was being held out of the team’s minicamp practices in the meantime.
The 29-year-old, who was acquired by Baltimore in 2013, was slated to earn $6.5 million this coming season. Baltimore selected Ronnie Stanley, a potential replacement for Monroe, in the first round of the draft earlier this year.
Monroe tweeted last week about the situation with the Ravens, believing he would be released due to his outspoken stance on marijuana.
This is for the players that make up the team. This is for the players the fans love. Our families. Our future health and wellness.— Eugene Monroe (@MrEugeneMonroe) June 10, 2016
Monroe was originally selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the first round of the 2009 NFL draft.