Latest news from the NFL off-season on the Al-Jazeera report, the Houston Texans’ signing of first-round pick Will Fuller, and Emmanuel Sanders’s impending contract termination.
The league is rather silent with weeks to go until the opening of NFL training camps; however, there is still plenty of excitement surrounding the July 15 deadline for franchise tag players. In addition, the NFL investigation of the four players linked to PEDs in the Al-Jazeera report has spurred much discussion.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who is one of the four players mentioned in the Al-Jazeera report, said in an Instagram post that he is only willing to be interviewed by the NFL if the interview is at his house and commissioner Roger Goodell is present.
• The Houston Texans have signed first-round pick Will Fuller to a four-year, $10.2 million contract, reports the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.
• Denver Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders and his agent have begun negotiations on a new deal, reports the Denver Post’s Nicki Jhabvala.
• Arizona Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson told ProFootballTalk Live that he expects the team to give safety Tyrann Mathieu a new deal “pretty soon.”
• The Philadelphia Eagles are expected to keep No. 2 pick Carson Wentz off the field for games this season, reports Philly Voice’s Jimmy Kempski.
• Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins said the team might hold him out of training camp, as he is still recovering from off-season foot surgery, reports ESPN’s Mike Rodak.
• Former Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson said he retired because his body was breaking down and that he does not foresee a comeback, reports ESPN’s Michael Rothstein.