Latest news from the NFL off-season on contract extensions for Von Miller and Kirk Cousins, as well as Stephen Tulloch’s future.
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NFL off-season remains at a standstill. But with the July 15 franchise tag deadline quickly approaching, teams are trying to sign players to long-term deals. Shortly after the July 15 deadline, training camps will open and league news will be more abundant.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller is one of the players anticipating the tag deadline. Talks between Miller and the Broncos have resumed, and ESPN’s Adam Schefter has reported that John Elway called Miller over the weekend to express his desire to reach a long-term deal.
• Quarterback Kirk Cousins is also on the verge of playing under the franchise tag this season. Mark Maske of the Washington Post does not expect a long-term deal to be made, giving it just a 30% chance.
• The Detroit Lions released linebacker Stephen Tulloch on Tuesday because of health issues. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that Tulloch, who had surgery in the off-season, failed his physical, which prompted the release.
• The New Orleans Saints have signed veteran defensive end Darryl Tapp, reports ESPN’s Field Yates. Tapp played for the Detroit Lions last season.
• Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson does not plan on retiring. He told the Houston Chronicle that he is training for the coming season while he waits for an opportunity.
• Regarding Tulloch, Birkett told phillymag.com that he thinks the Philadelphia Eagles would be “a good fit” for the linebacker.
• The Redskins are ready for last year’s first-round pick to take the next step. CSN Mid-Atlantic reports that the expectations for offensive guard Brandon Scherff are “sky-high.”
• Seattle Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner is under investigation for an alleged assault, reports TMZ. While arguing with the father of a woman who Browner has a child with, Browner reportedly attacked the man.
• Jacksonville Jaguars running back Denard Robinson fell asleep at the wheel on Sunday and drove his car into a retention pond, reports the Florida Times-Union. Robinson was not impaired at the time, and he and the passenger were not injured in the incident.