NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NFL off-season is in its final stages with training camps set to start in about a week. Though the bulk of remaining free agents have already signed, a few additional roster moves could occur, most notably involving quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who remains unsigned.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The New York Jets and Fitzpatrick have not spoken in over a month, reports ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler. The two sides are still far from reaching a deal, and it is unlikely they come to a consensus before training camps begin.
• The Arizona Cardinals will bring in cornerback Chris Culliver for a visit next week, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Culliver was cut by the Redskins after the team signed Josh Norman.
• David Moore of The Dallas Morning News expects linebacker Rolando McClain to be cut by the Dallas Cowboys before the start of training camp. The Cowboys are waiting to see what the cap charge will be for cutting McClain.
• Free-agent guard Amini Silatolu will visit the Chicago Bears today, reports ESPN’s Adam Caplan. The former second-round pick in 2012 has spent his entire career with the Carolina Panthers.
• Eagles cornerback Eric Rowe could be a trade candidate, reports Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com. He was a second-round pick by Philadelphia last year.
• With Justin Tucker’s extension finalized, the Baltimore Sun reports that nose tackle Brandon Williams is next in line for the Baltimore Ravens. However, that deal could be expensive given the deals other defensive tackles have received this off-season.
• The Panthers nearly picked 49ers quarterback Blaine Gabbert over Cam Newton in the 2011 draft. Head coach Ron Rivera told the Mercury News that the decision was down to Gabbert and Newton, who was last season’s MVP. Gabbert is in competition with Colin Kaepernick for the starting position.