Latest news from the NFL off-season on Randy Gregory’s suspension, Eric Berry’s absence from Chiefs training camp and Kurt Coleman’s newly signed contract with the Panthers.
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NFL off-season is coming to an end, as training camps begin in full for 12 teams on Wednesday. With the regular season on the horizon, much league attention is focused on players who have yet to sign. Two notable veterans are now off the market, as wide receiver Anquan Boldin signed with the Detroit Lions and offensive tackle Jake Long joined the Baltimore Ravens. Both players signed one-year deals.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Dallas Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory is facing another suspension. ESPN reports Gregory violated the substance abuse policy once again and is now facing a 10-game suspension. Gregory may have either failed another drug test or missed one, but that remains unclear. Gregory is appealing his suspension.
• The NFL can either increase Gregory’s current four-game suspension to a 10-game suspension or add an additional 10 games onto his current suspension, holding him out for a total of 14 games, according to ESPN’s Ed Werder.
• Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry will not report to training camp, reports the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Berry has not yet signed his franchise tag tender, so he cannot be fined.
• In more bad news for the Chiefs, outside linebacker Justin Houston is expected to miss time at the start of the season as he recovers from a torn ACL, Rapoport reports.
• The Carolina Panthers and safety Kurt Coleman have agreed to a three-year contract extension, reports Rapoport. The money involved is not yet known.
• The New York Jets will sign running back Bernard Pierce, reports the Houston Chronicle’s Aaron Wilson. The 2012 third-round pick has played for the Ravens and the Jacksonville Jaguars.
• Wide receiver Andre Johnson visited the Tennessee Titans Tuesday, reports the Houston Chronicle. Johnson was cut by the Indianapolis Colts this off-season after a rough season.
• Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Nigel Bradham was arrested Monday following an altercation on Thursday. According to NBC 6 in Miami, the police report states Bradham punched a hotel employee in the face.
• The NFL will hold the 2017 NFL draft in Philadelphia, reports NJ.com. Because the Democratic National Convention is taking place in Philadelphia this week, the league is waiting to make the delayed announcement on either Aug. 2 or Aug. 8.
• Just a few days after extending the contract of general manager John Schneider, the Seattle Seahawks have locked up head coach Pete Carroll. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the new deal will keep Carroll in Seattle through 2019.