NFL rumors: Week 3 news on injuries, suspensions, more
The New England Patriots are set to host the Houston Texans on Thursday Night Football, kicking off Week 3 of the NFL season. However, the biggest news this week is out of Minnesota, where running back Adrian Peterson will be out 3-4 months after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has been telling teammates he plans to make his season debut against the Texans, reports Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. Gronkowski has missed the first two games of the season with a hamstring injury.
• Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo is listed as doubtful for their game against the Texans with a shoulder injury, the team announced. If he can't play, rookie Jacoby Brissett will start and wide receiver Julian Edelman will serve as the team's backup quarterback.
• Cleveland Browns rookie wide receiver Corey Coleman will miss 4-6 weeks after suffering a broken hand in practice on Wednesday, the team announced.
• The Detroit Lions will not sign running back Ray Rice after having "serious internal discussions" about adding him, reports Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.
• The Vikings announced they have placed offensive tackle Matt Kalil on injured reserve with a hip injury.
• Minnesota also announced they have signed running back Ronnie Hillman in the wake of Peterson's injury.
• The Carolina Panthers are discussing security concerns for Sunday's home game against the Vikings due to riots in Charlotte, reports ESPN's David Newton.