Urban Meyer put pen to paper on Thursday evening as he signed a contract to become the Jaguars next head coach.
Jacksonville posted a 1–15 record in 2020, with its lone win coming against the Colts in Week 1. The franchise has gone 12-36 over the last three seasons, the worst mark in the league over that timespan. The team will have the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.
Within the hour of signing his contract, rumors surfaced about who Meyer had his eye on for offensive coordinator—Scott Linehan.
ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported that the former NFL head coach and last season's passing game coordinator at LSU has emerged as the prime candidate and has a longtime relationship with the new Jaguars coach.
Linehan was hired as head coach of the St. Louis Rams in 2006, posting an 11-25 record before he was fired midseason in 2008. He was then the offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions between 2009-2013 and held the same position with the Dallas Cowboys from 2015-2018.
The 57-year-old moved back to the college ranks last season to replace Joe Brady, who was widely credited with modernizing LSU's offense during Joe Burrow's Heisman and national championship campaign before Brady moved onto the Carolina Panthers last year. However, Linehan's tenure in Baton Rouge wasn't as fruitful. The Tigers went 5-5 and the team decided to part ways with him in December.
Linehan could be the first of many college coaches to join Meyer and the Jaguars.
Check out the latest news and rumors around the NFL:
- Rams coach Sean McVay announced that QB John Wolford has been ruled out of Saturday's divisional-round game vs. the Packers. Jared Goff will start, and Blake Bortles will be his backup.
- The Lions have agreed to terms on a five-year deal with Rams director of college scouting Brad Holmes as their new GM. (Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
- The Steelers will not renew the contracts of offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner, offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett and defensive backs coach Tom Bradley. (Team announcement)
- The Eagles have requested an interview with Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore for their head coaching job. (Todd Archer, ESPN)
- The Texans have requested an interview with Rams DC Brandon Staley for their head coaching job. (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
- The Jets completed their second interview with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh for their head coaching vacancy. (Team announcement)
- The Broncos signed former Vikings assistant general manager George Paton as their new general manager. (Team announcement)