The long wait is over, and the return of Giants football is back.
Ok, sort of. The game won't count for another month. The matchups we'll see starting with this evening's Giants preseason opener against the New England Patriots will pit the Giants starters against most of the Patriots' backups.
Football is football, and it will be nice to watch the Giants hit others instead of each other, right?
While it's always preferred during the preseason to see how the Giants starters go against the opponents' counterparts, this reported setup works in the Giants' favor.
The silver lining is that the evaluation process for the Giants will be on even ground. In other words, the first- and second-team offenses will likely face the same competition in the first half. That puts the evaluation process on equal footing and makes things easier for the Giants coaching staff when they sit down to do their evaluation.
Speaking of evaluation, the final score of this game doesn't matter. Daboll and company will use this game to see how far along the team has come in grasping all the installs. They will also use it to figure out where upgrades to the depth might be needed to get the team ready for its regular-season opener next month against the Titans.
Keep it here at Giants Country for complete coverage of all the action.
Game information: New York Giants (0-0) at New England Patriots (0-0)
Giants-Patriots Preseason History: The Giants and Patriots meet for the ninth time in a preseason opener. The teams met in the preseason finale every year from 2005-19.
Clarifying Receiver Odell Beckham Jr's "Visit" to Giants
When is a player visit not a visit? Let us explain.
Date/Time: Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. ET
Where: Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts
Streaming: FuboTV: Get 7-day Free Trial; New York Giants official app; New York Giants mobile website; Yahoo! Sports and NFL+ (out of market audience)
TV: NFL Network | NBC-4 (Bob Papa, Carl Banks, Howard Cross)
Radio: WFAN 660 AM / 101.9 FM (Chris Carrino, Shaun O’Hara, Paul Dottino). Sirius Radio (Channel 380 – Giants). SiriusXM Internet (Channel 823 – Giants)
Referee: John Hussey
The following Giants are not expected to play: WR Sterling Shepard (PUP), OL Nick Gates (PUP), OL Matt Peart (PUP), TE Ricky Seals-Jones (unknown), OLB Azeez Ojulari (NFI), WR David Sills V (unknown), ILB Carter Coughlin (unknown), RB Matt Breida (unknown), S Dane Belton (collarbone), and TE Andre Miller (wrist).
OL Joshua Ezeudu is questionable.
More from Giants Country
- Takeaways from New York Giants' First Unofficial Depth Chart of Summer
- Mike Kafka Set to Make Play-calling Debut for Giants
- Giants' Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey Reveals Expectations for Jamie Gillan
- Evan Neal Displaying Impressive Maturity, Commitment to Craft
- Why Wink Martindale is Excited About Giants' Defense
- Why Darnay Holmes Loves the New Giants Defensive System
- Seven Things to Watch in New York Giants' Preseason Opener vs. Patriots
- Brian Daboll Focused on Future, Not Past in Upcoming Game vs. Patriots
- Five Players on Notice Entering New York Giants Preseason Games
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel