Top Line: Patrick Marleau trade talk; Coyotes offer cap help; more links
An annotated guide to today's must-read hockey stories:
• Despite walking back from comments suggesting he was ready to make significant changes in San Jose, Sharks GM Doug Wilson may yet find a way to trade Patrick Marleau. It's all a matter of finding a deal that makes sense for the team and a situation appealing enough to Marleau that he'll waive his no-movement clause.
• Attention, teams looking for cap relief: the Arizona Coyotes have plenty of room under the ceiling and they'd be thrilled to take a problem contract off your hands.
• After months spent weighing options it appears the NHL has finally settled on a setting for the 2015 Winter Classic. Was it the right choice?
• Henrik Lundqvist visits The Late Show With David Letterman on Monday night. Get ready for the handsome.
• The KHL will be dark tonight. Here's a reminder why.
• Why are contract talks bogged down between Marc Methot and the Senators? Because Ottawa doesn't want to pay him Brooks Orpik money. Sorry boys, that's the cost of doing business with a top-four defenseman these days. If the Sens don't want to ante up, there'll be a line of suitors this summer.
• The Sens could also use some help in the top nine, but not if it means taking on someone else's lousy contract. Unfortunately, that's all that's on the market at the moment. Their best bet may be to wait and hope a veteran is pushed out of a job by a rookie in camp.
• Matt Larkin has written a history of hockey video games. Probably so he could tell his mom that all those hours he spent in front of the TV really were for research.
• Raphael Diaz doesn't have a job, but he's got a couple of opportunities on the table. The 28-year-old Swiss vet has been invited to Detroit's camp. He reportedly also has a similar offer from the Dallas Stars. Both teams could use a righty like him.
• If the Canucks are going to turn things around this season, it'll be the veterans, not the kids, leading the charge. Recent comments from GM Jim Benning leave some room for interpretation, but it looks like the kids can expect to spend another year down on the farm.
• You think Russ Cowley's parents have mastered the mic drop at dinner parties yet? Imagine getting to brag that your son plays pro hockey and he's a college professor.