The Islanders have advanced to the first round of the playoffs with a win over the Panthers. The duo of Anthony Beauvillier and Mathew Barzal all scored three of the Islanders' five goals during a 5-1 series-clinching win in game four. New York has won a postseason series for a second straight year now, and it's only their third series victory since 1992-1993. The Islanders' first opponent will be either Tampa, Philadelphia, Washington, or Boston with round one beginning next week. The Panthers, however, have extended their postseason woes with the loss as Florida hasn't won a playoff series since their '95-96 run to the Stanley Cup final. It's the longest active drought in the NHL.
FOR MORE CONTENT FROM SI:
- Latest NBA Draft Buzz Following NCAA Withdrawal Deadline
- Dear MLB and TV Partners, Give Us More Mic'd Up Players and Less Nonsense: TRAINA THOUGHTS
- Does LeBron James Have Anything to Prove In the Bubble?
- Fantasy Football Bust of the Year: Which 2019 Stud Should You Fade in 2020?
- What to Watch for at the 2020 PGA Championship
- Bundesliga Sets Plan to Begin Allowing Fans Back in Stadiums
- A Wave of Key Summer Returnees Gives College Basketball Something to Build On