Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Liverpool routed 10-man Everton 4-0, Manchester United beat Crystal Palace and West Ham topped Watford in the Premier League.

April 20, 2016

LIVERPOOL (AP) — Liverpool striker Divock Origi scored before being carried off on a stretcher as Everton was overwhelmed 4-0 in Wednesday's Merseyside derby.

Everton defender Ramiro Funes Mori was sent off five minutes into the second half for stamping on Origi, providing a fitness concern for Liverpool ahead of next week's Europa League semifinal with Villarreal.

Everton is looking forward to a semifinal of its own—Saturday's FA Cup meeting with Manchester United—and this was the worst possible preparation. As well as Funes Mori's dismissal, fellow center back John Stones limped off injured as Daniel Sturridge scored Liverpool's third in the 61st minute.

Headers from Origi and Mamadou Sakho gave Liverpool the lead at the end of the first half and Philippe Coutinho's 76th-minute strike completed the rout.

Elsewhere in the Premier League on Wednesday:


MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Manchester United prepared for the FA Cup semifinals by beating Crystal Palace 2-0 on Wednesday to enhance its bid to break into the top four places and qualify for the Champions League.

United profited from an own goal in the fourth minute when Damien Delaney inadvertently turned a cross from Matteo Darmian into his own net. Darmian did manage to score his first goal since joining United last year 10 minutes into the second half.

With four games remaining, United is only two points behind third-place City and one behind Arsenal, which plays West Bromwich Albion on Thursday.


LONDON (AP) — Mark Noble scored two penalties to help West Ham beat a second-string Watford side 3-1 on Wednesday and maintain its bid for European football when the club moves to the Olympic Stadium next season.

The West Ham captain converted either side of halftime, with Watford goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes unable to repeat last weekend's heroics of saving two penalties at West Bromwich Albion. Striker Andy Carroll opened the scoring with his ninth league goal of the season in the 11th minute, steering in a looping Dmitri Payet cross.

Defender Sebastian Proedl pulled one back for the visitors, volleying home from a 64th minute free kick.

Watford, which faces Crystal Palace in the FA Cup semifinals on Sunday, could have had a second, but substitute Troy Deeney's 90th minute penalty was saved.

You May Like