By 90Min
July 20, 2017

​Sevilla president Jose Castro has expressed his anger in the manner at which his star winger, Vitolo, has forced a move away from the club to join Atletico Madrid, despite Diego Simeone's side being under a transfer ban. 

According to ​Estadio Deportivo, Castro had verbally agreed a new contract with the 27-year-old Spaniard, only for him to go back on his word and meet with La Liga officials to trigger his own €37.5m release clause. As a result of Atletico's transfer ban, the winger will join up with former club Las Palmas for six months until January, from which he will be eligble to play with his new teammates. 

Castro spoke to Sevilla's official radio station 'SFC Radio', stating that he will "defend the interests of the club", and will reportedly look to enforce the €50m release clause included in the contract that he and Vitolo had agreed verbally. 

He said: "The club will exercise its rights, will study the documents within its power and will take all the actions in its hand to defend itself.

"Sevilla reached an agreement with his agents, the document was not signed but the conditions were approved. We will defend our interests as far as is necessary, the board will decide how far we go."

Castro has said he feels 'used' by the player, who was bought from Las Palmas for just €3m in 2013 and has developed into a full Spanish international at the club, in an attempt to gain a more lucrative contract with Atleti - where he will reportedly earn €8m-a-year after tax.

He said: "Vitolo has used Sevilla to get Atletico to pay him more money, he has left us badly after making an agreement but not keeping his word. The club made an enormous effort and Vitolo has shown disrespect for Sevilla and its fans. He asked us to resolve a problem, and then created another for us."

Castro went on to state how he feels no regrets over announcing Vitolo's new 'contract' on Monday, as he had been given the green light to do so by the player.

He added: "I do not regret announcing the renovation. During the weekend I had different calls from Vitolo asking me to please fix the problem, that we would accept that Atletico will pay the clause in installments.

"I told him that was impossible, as it was a lack of respect. In the end we reached the possibility of paying close to what Atletico were paying, and the case was resolved. He was left clearly happy and asked me to defend him with the fans.

"Monday morning we prepared all the documents, and his father gave the OK. It just lacked the player's signature, and Vitolo told me we could announce it. That is why we went public and I don't regret it. If you cannot trust in the word of a player, there is nothing more you can do. I am not angry, but indignant."

Sevilla vice-president Jose Maria Del Nido Carrasco is supposedly set to announce his resignation in light of the recent events, and it goes without saying that Vitolo has severely tarnished his name amongst the Sevilla fanbase.

You May Like