Liverpool are to miss out on yet another defensive target as Lazio’s Stefan de Vrij looks set to leave the Stadio Olimpico in January, however not Serie A, according to the Mirror.
The 25-year-old has been on the Reds' radar for the past 12 months and was seen as a potential alternative to Southampton centre-back Virgil van Dijk.
After the Merseysiders' failed pursuit to coax the Saints captain to Anfield due to the legality of their attempts, boss Jurgen Klopp was keen to step up his side's efforts in signing the Biancocelesti's fellow Netherlands international to shore up his back line.
10 years ago David Moores sold Liverpool, 19 months after winning a champions league, he said he was selling so Liverpool could compete with the modern day powers since then we've won 1 league cup and currently sit 18 points behind in the title race & some say it could be worse— RILEY (@lfc_riley) December 16, 2017
However, according to the report, Liverpool are to miss out on another priority transfer target, this time not for alleged back door antics, but simply due to a fellow superpower leading the chase.
Inter Milan are said to have tabled a whopping £25m bid for the services of De Vrij, with the Scudetto chasers looking to maintain their impressive start to this year's campaign.
Virgil van Dijk is on the bench for Southampton today. He's dressed in a full Liverpool kit, as well. Bit weird.— Paddy Power (@paddypower) December 16, 2017
The Dutchman came to promise during the 2014 World Cup, where Louis van Gaal offered him the chance to shine in Brazil.
During that summer the former Feyenoord man secured a €7m (£6.3m) move to current fifth-place Lazio, where has been a regular feature in Simone Inzaghi's side.
Liverpool are looking at others CB targets.... after not looking at them for the last 12 months. Just as Saints start to consider cashing in. Not buying it. Just tell it how it is. We want to pay less.— Callum Wright (@CallumWright__) December 17, 2017
This season De Vrij has secured 14 starts out of a possible 15 for Biancocelesti in Serie A as well as two showings in his side's Europa League campaign.
The 25-year-old's ability would certainly be a welcome addition to Klopp's XI, however the player is reportedly keen to remain in Italy, almost certainly ruling out Liverpool's chances following Inter's interest.