AC Milan have released a statement which has dismissed the 'inadmissible allegations' surrounding the increasing speculation that defender Leonardo Bonucci is looking for a way out of the club.
30-year-old Bonucci spectacularly joined Milan in the summer from Juventus in a deal worth €40m, one of a series of signings which saw a squad overhaul in light of the club's new owners. However, the Rossoneri have struggled to find any form this season which has them languishing in 8th position, 18 points behind league leaders Napoli.
Having played in just six victories in his first 15 Serie A appearances for Milan, Bonucci has been reported to be looking for a way out of the club, despite having a deal at San Siro until 2022.
Manchester City have been linked with the defender in recent times, with Pep Guardiola said to be a keen admirer and is known to be eager to add to his centre-back ranks after having to rely on Eliaquim Mangala lately due to a number of injuries.
However, it is understood that the 30-year-old has previously been unable to be convinced to make a move away from Italy, but that has not stopped interest from Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain too.
With increasing suggestions that Bonucci is doubting Milan's project, a statement released on the club's website said: "But how beautiful the rediscovery of Bonucci! Suddenly, we passed from teasing on the balance to the threat of a sudden abandonment of Milan and the interest of large clubs.
"In a nutshell, these are really inadmissible allegations.The reality is that Leo has already denied informally, not only that, he will do it formally too. Because Leonardo Bonucci totally believes in the Milan project and this shows that the pre-Christmas stories are absolutely based on nothing.
Leonardo Bonucci left Juve after being as close as 45mins away from world domination. He left as one of the worlds best defenders to captain a side that just lost 3-0 to Hellas Verona & sits outside of the European spots.— Patrick Gullaci (@pgullaci) December 18, 2017
Will go down as the worst move in Serie A history, idiot.
"The Milan captain is working hard, like all his teammates, in withdrawal, to redeem himself with the all of Milan from a very negative position."
If Bonucci was to seek a move away from the club he would be eligible to play in the Champions League, but the Rossoneri would be unlikely to let him depart for any less than the €40m they paid for him last summer.