Novak Djokovic said he will miss the rest of the 2017 campaign because of an elbow injury.
Djokovic, a 12-time Grand Slam champion, made the announcement Wednesday morning on Facebook Live. He will miss the U.S. Open which breaks his streak of appearing in 51 straight that Grand Slam tournaments.
“I have made a decision to not play any competitions or tournaments for the rest of 2017,” Djokovic said on Facebook Live. "The remarkable series has come to an end. My body has its limits, and I have to respect that and be grateful for all that I have achieved so far."
Djokovic retired from his Wimbledon quarterfinal match against Tomas Berdych because of the right elbow issue.
“All the doctors I’ve consulted, and all the specialists I have visited, in Serbia and all over the world, have agreed that this injury requires rest," Djokovic said.
Djokovic won the 2016 French Open, completing a career Grand Slam and become the first male player in nearly 50 years to win four consecutive major trophies. At the time of that triumph in Paris, Djokovic was ranked No. 1 in the world. He is now No. 4 and did not defend any of those championships this year.
“A prolonged break from the sport is inevitable," Djokovic said."I’ll do whatever it takes to recover. …My wife, Jelena, and I are expecting our second child, and we are preparing to welcome a new family member. These are things that fill me with greatest happiness and delight. I’m confident I will be ready for start of the new season."