College Football Podcast: Sizing up state of USC after Sarkisian's firing
It’s been a week of major off-field news from Florida quarterback Will Grier’s suspension for failing a test for performance-enhancing drugs to South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier’s retirement. But no story has been bigger than Steve Sarkisian’s firing at USC.
Lindsey Thiry of the Los Angeles Times and Fox Sports 1 joins hosts Zac Ellis and Lindsay Schnell to break down the chaos with the Trojans. What should USC look for in its next coach and how can interim coach Clay Helton keep this year’s team from falling apart? Thiry lends her insights from the scene.
Zac and Lindsay also discuss some of the biggest results from Week 6 and preview and pick Week 7’s major showdowns.
Here are the games and topics Zac, Lindsay and Thiry discuss:
• Florida State 29, Miami 24: With Dalvin Cook dominating everyone, should the Seminoles be getting more playoff buzz? What does this loss mean for Hurricanes coach Al Golden’s future?
• Utah 30, Cal 24: Does this win solidify that the Utes are for real this season? Should Bears quarterback Jared Goff be ranked as highly by NFL draft scouts after tossing five interceptions?
• Texas 24, Oklahoma 17: Does this win change Charlie Strong’s job status? Are the Sooners still contenders for a Big 12 title after falling to the Longhorns?
• Who should USC look at for its next coach? Would Chris Petersen have been a good hire instead of Sarkisian? With two losses already this season, are the Trojans on the verge of a complete collapse with Sarkisian gone? Can USC maintain its reputation as a powerhouse when it has had so many crises over the past several seasons? How much should athletic director Pat Haden have known about Sarkisian’s issues with alcohol?
• Alabama at Texas A&M: After giving up 43 points in a loss to Ole Miss, is the Crimson Tide defense back on track and capable of stopping the Aggies? Can Texas A&M keep its undefeated record alive?
• Michigan State at Michigan: Can the Wolverines’ surprising success in year one under Jim Harbaugh continue with a marquee win over their in-state rivals? Can Connor Cook get the Spartans out of their sluggish start to the season and lead them to victory?