Thursday October 20th, 2016

Georges St-Pierre’s contract standoff continues, as his lawyer spoke up against the UFC’s contract structures following the longtime welterweight champ’s statement of free agency earlier this week.

St-Pierre contends the UFC violated terms of his deal, and says he’s terminated his contract.

"I've done a lot of work in sports. When I read that contract, I was blown away by how restrictive it is," lawyer James Quinn told MMA Fighting. “They're basically tying him up for life. They have no rights and they own all of his licensing and all the other things. It's unheard of in the other professional sports. And they won't get away with it forever.”

There’s an ongoing anti-trust lawsuit against the UFC, as well, which Quinn referred to in his criticism of a system he finds antiquated.

“You couldn't get away with any old contract in any of the other sports," Quinn said. "There is litigation in that aspect of a class-action lawsuit that challenges the contract as being illegal under the NHS laws. That case is ongoing, and I think that under the law's terms, I don't think the contract -- that formal contract -- is likely to stand up. Not in today's world. It's a pretty nice form of slavery."

St-Pierre, 35, is one of MMA’s most notable figures but has battled injuries, and has not fought since 2013.

 

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.