Conflicting reports emerged on Wednesday night regarding the possibility of settlement talks between the lawyers for Chicago Blackhawks right wing Patrick Kane and the woman who has accused him of sexual assault.
The Chicago Tribune reported that attorneys for both parties have communicated “for weeks” regarding the possibility of a formal agreement that would end the criminal investigation. No such agreement had been reached by Wednesday, and both Kane and his accuser “have refused at times to acquiesce because they both view themselves as the wronged party.”
“There are no settlement talks,” Cambria told CBS Chicago. “I don’t know where this is coming from.”
“It is false. I am not working with them,” Cambria told NBC Chicago.
Allegations of Kane sexually assaulting his accuser at his home in western New York on Aug. 2 first became public last month. Although he has not been charged with any offense, reports have suggested either the Blackhawks or the NHL could suspend him for violating the league’s personal conduct clause. Western New York prosecutors will take the criminal case to a grand jury later this month, reports the Tribune.
The Blackhawks open training camp Friday at Notre Dame. Earlier Wednesday, the team included Kane on its training camp roster and noted that all players listed were expected to attend camp.
Team officials, including president John McDonough, general manager Stan Bowman and coach Joel Quenneville, are expected to speak with media on Thursday.
- Mike Fiammetta
GALLERY: NHL Players and the Law