NHL rumors: Latest news on trades and signings as free agency begins
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NHL off-season got off to a crazy start on Wednesday. when we saw a flurry of league-altering moves. The Montreal Canadiens traded star defenseman P.K. Subban to the Nashville Predators for Shae Weber. Several other players also signed contract extensions with their respective teams ahead of the start of free agency on July 1.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• Subban took a shot at the Canadiens after the trade, saying he feels “a whole lot closer” to winning the Stanley Cup with Nashville, according to Predators communications director Brooks Bratten.
• The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed forward Steven Stamkos to an eight-year extension with an average annual value of $8.5 million, reports TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
• The Edmonton Oilers traded forward Taylor Hall to the New Jersey Devils for defenseman Adam Larsson, reports Sportsnet’s Gene Principe.
• Hall expressed his displeasure with the trade, saying in his press conference that he feels the trade was “an indictment on him as a hockey player,” reports MSG Network’s Deb Kaufman Placey.
• Forward Tomas Hertl signed a two-year, $6 million extension with the San Jose Sharks, reports McKenzie.
• The Columbus Blue Jackets signed defenseman Seth Jones to a six-year extension, reports ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
• The Buffalo Sabres have signed defenseman Casey Nelson to a two-year extension, reports the Buffalo News’ John Vogl.
• Forward Jason Zucker signed a two-year, $4 million deal to stay with the Minnesota Wild, reports the Associated Press.