July 14, 2010

If Floyd Mayweather Jr., fails to accept a proposal to face WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, the location for the Filipino fighter's next bout could be decided by this coming Monday, according to adviser Michael Koncz. Mayweather has until the end of Friday to accept a deal to fight Pacquiao on Nov. 13 in Las Vegas. If no agreement is reached with Mayweather, then Pacquiao will turn his attention to fighting either Antonio Margarito or Miguel Cotto.

Koncz was present at a recent meeting with representatives of the Royal Family to discuss the possibility of Pacquiao fighting Margarito or Cotto in Abu Dhabi, the capital of, and, the second largest city in the United Arab Emirates, on Nov. 13.

Whether it's Cotto or Margarito, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum says the fight will take place at junior middleweight as Pacquiao goes for his eighth divisional title. A fight with Cotto would have the Puerto Rican champion's WBA title on the line, and a fight with Margarito would have the vacant WBC title in play. If no deal is made with a location in Abu Dhabi, there is another deal on the table for Pacquiao to fight in Mexico.

"We had a meeting with the representatives of the Royal Family, so we will know on Monday whether the fight will actually move to Abu Dhabi and then, also, we have an opportunity to fight in Mexico," Koncz said. "All of this, of course, we're only talking about if the next opponent is Antonio Margarito or Miguel Cotto."

"The first thing that we have got to do is wait until Friday for Floyd Mayweather to make a decision. We gave a gentleman's agreement that we would do that for Floyd. If Floyd signs, he signs. If he doesn't, then he doesn't. We've already decided that if he doesn't, then we will be fighting either Miguel Cotto or Antonio Margarito."

You May Like

Eagle (-2)
Birdie (-1)
Bogey (+1)
Double Bogey (+2)