Promoter: Pacquiao would welcome Mayweather rematch
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says Manny Pacquiao would be up for a rematch with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. next year and believes the two sides could again reach a deal to fight.
Mayweather defeated Pacquiao on Saturday in Las Vegas to unify the welterweight crowns.
Mayweather sent a text to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith earlier this week, saying he would be willing to give Pacquiao a rematch.
“I think we now know what the pitfalls were," Bob Arum, who represents Pacquiao, said to ESPN.com. "And, ultimately, with all the aggravation and trouble, look at the pot of gold that we both produced. I think there will probably be less aggravation in a rematch. We understand each other better now. There's a real possibility it could work even better."
Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) will likely be out of action for the next 9-12 months after he has surgery to repair a tear in his right rotator cuff. The procedure will be done by Los Angeles surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache.
"We first have to make sure the rotator cuff heals well," Arum said. "Dr. ElAttrache is a famous surgeon, one of the best in the business, so I'm confident the surgery will work, and if it does, why wouldn't we entertain a rematch?"
Pacquiao’s shoulder injury is a source of contention, especially with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which is looking into if Pacquiao lied on his medical questionnaire before the fight.
Pacquiao said he asked the Nevada Athletic Commission if he could receive an anti-inflammatory shot for his shoulder before the fight, but that request was denied.
Pacquiao could be fined or suspended by the state commission if he is found to have lied on the questionnaire about his pre-fight health.
The 38-year-old Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) has said that he only plans to fight once more, after which his contract with Showtime/CBS expires.
- Scooby Axson