Wednesday marks one of the most important day of Lane Kiffin's tenure as the Ole Miss football coach – his first signing day after a full year of recruitment.
Ole Miss has been on a tear recruiting of late. Coming into national signing day, the Rebels currently hold commitments from 20 high school seniors and are ranked as the nation's No. 17 recruiting class by SI All-American.
So, as we approach Wednesday, let's take a look at the Ole Miss class of committed players and some others who are making their decision on signing day with Ole Miss in contention.
The Current Committed 20 Players:
*Highlights and evaluation, or more information on players found by clicking names below.
- Hudson Wolfe (SI99, SI All-American Finalist, 4-star TE, Tenn.)
- Luke Altmyer (SI All-American Finalist, 4-star QB, Miss.)
- Dink Jackson (SI All-American Finalist, 4-star S, Fla.)
- Bralon Brown (SI All-American Candidate, 4-star WR, Fla.)
- Tysheem Johnson (SI All-American Candidate, 4-star S, Pa.)
- Jamond Gordon (No. 1 Rated JUCO Defensive Tackle, Miss.)
- Micah Pettus (SI All-American Candidate, 3-star OT, Ala.)
- Kendrich Breedlove (SI All-American Candidate, 3-star ATH, Tenn.)
- Jayden Williams (3-star OT, Ark.)
- Isaiah Iton (3-star DT, Hutchinson C.C., Kan.)
- Demarcus Smith (3-star DE, Ala.)
- Jibran Hawkins (3-star DE, Ga.)
- Brandon Buckhaulter (3-star WR, Miss.)
- Trey Washington (3-star CB, Ala.)
- Taleeq Robbins (3-star DT, Pa.)
- Devin Lee (3-star DT, Ga.)
- Demarco Williams (3-star CB, Ga.)
- Cedrick Nicely (3-star OL, Ga.)
- Daniel Bethel (5-star punter, Tenn.)
- Caden Costa (6-star K, La.)
Who Could Be Next?
A handful of high-value Rebel targets will be making their decision on Wednesday (and one even might be coming through today.
Markevious Brown would be the highlight of these remaining names. The SI All-American Finalist and 4-star cornerback will be choosing between Auburn, Miami and Ole Miss. The Rebels are expected to be the favorites for Brown's services, as well as that of his IMG Academy teammate Malik McClain.
McClain, another SI All-American Finalist and four-star player at wide receiver, is expected to choose the Rebels on Wednesday after recommitting from Florida State earlier in December.
Three serious flip candidates still exist for the Rebels going into Wednesday, with receiver Deion Smith, athlete MJ Daniels and defensive back Damarius McGhee. Smith (an SI All-American finalist from Jackson, Miss.) and McGhee are both committed to LSU. Of the two, Smith's flip would be more likely.
Then there's MJ Daniels, an athlete from Mississippi, who claimed to have shut down his recruitment online to sign with Mississippi State earlier this month, but is still talking to Ole Miss and tweeting out stuff about other schools. I'd still peg him to land in Starkville, but that one's not over.
There's also a growing sense that the recruitment of elite linebacker Junior Colson's recruitment might not be over. Having been committed to Michigan for months, Ole Miss may still have a shot to flip Colson, who would instantly become the top defender in the Rebel class alongside Dink Jackson.
Lastly, receiver JJ Henry, a flashy speedster from Texas, is expected to commit on Tuesday, and it's likely to be Ole Miss over Florida State, Texas, Texas A&M and others.
Ole Miss currently comes in at No. 17 in the SI All-American team ratings. If they hit on any of the above players, especially the three SI All-American finalists, that number could rise yet again.
There's reason to believe in Oxford. Wednesday could be a huge day for the future of Ole Miss football.
*UPDATE: Since originally publishing, OG Makylan Pounders has decommitted from Ole Miss.
More on Ole Miss Recruiting:
You can join The Grove Report community by clicking "Follow" on the top righthand corner of the page or under the three bars on the top left in mobile. Also, be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @SIRebels and @nategabler.