This photo of the Patriots' giant weight lifting record leaderboard recently surfaced. A few things that stand out:
- The quarterback records are held by the immortal trio of Rohan Davey, Kevin O'Connell and Matt Cassel. Physical fitness doesn't appear to be perfectly correlated with performance at that position.
- If Tim Tebow counts as a quarterback, he's a solid bet to break some of those strength -- and maybe even speed -- records. Extenuating circumstances, however, might necessitate (or, rather, accelerate) his conversion to tight end.
- Joe Andruzzi squatted 725 pounds, which is, uh, a lot. In retirement he's put that strength to good use.
- Assuming accurate measurement, Bethel Johnson's 4.26 second 40-yard dash time would have been fast enough to qualify as the second-best NFL combine mark -- trailing only Chris Johnson -- since electronic laser measurement was implemented in 2000. Benching 405, he's not exactly carrying a diminutive frame either.
- It's sort of no fun that 40-yard dash times aren't available for all the positions.
In any event, it's pretty difficult to look at all these numbers without feeling wholly inadequate. You think GNC's still open?Bum Theory Doug Kyed Reddit