Michigan has posted a job opening for Director of Internal Communications and Operations for the Head Football Coach.
But with the actual football season approaching, it turns out the Wolverines’ new head man actually has other responsibilities. That must be why, among other reasons, Michigan posted a job opening for “Director of Internal Communications and Operations for the Head Football Coach” this week.
Social media holds prominent significance under the role’s “communication duties,” including the responsibility to “assist head coach with personal social media and messaging” and to monitor student-athletes’ social media accounts.
Of course, there are more “important” tasks for the role, which is why “operations duties” are labeled as 80% of the job.
OPERATIONS DUTIES (80%)
1. Assists head coach in all areas, including day-to-day operations, administration and office management.
2. Maintain head coachs personal and professional contacts
3. Produce content needed by head coach for team meetings
4. Assist head coach with personal appearances and off-season engagements
5. Complete special projects as assigned by head coach, including family engagements
And here are the required qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years related experience in communications and/or football administration.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative thinking and ability to think on their feet.
- Knowledge of football department and how it operates.
- Knowledge of the following software programs: Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite particularly InDesign, Photoshop and PowerPoint.
- Compliance/understanding of Big Ten and NCAA rules.
- Must be able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with athletic department staff, coaches and student-athletes.
- Must possess outstanding interpersonal and communication skills -- verbal and written; excellent problem analysis and problem-solving skills; attention to detail and accuracy; outstanding customer service orientation; adaptability; initiative; and stress tolerance.
- Travel with football team and head coach.
- Ability to work weekends during competitive season(s).
- On-call availability and periodic overtime.
- Unplanned activities/other duties as assigned.
Sounds like a tough, but rewarding job. The posting will be up until June 23, so hurry up and get those applications in. Harbaugh’s busy enough as it is.
- Mike Fiammetta