Pope Francis is touring the United States for the first time, as you may have heard. One of his stops includes saying mass at Madison Square Garden, one of the most famous arenas in sports.
With the Holy Father being a professed fan of sports, especially his hometown soccer club San Lorenzo, Extra Mustard decided to head down to the arena to see if the sports fans waiting to enter the event would rather be seeing their own favorite teams.
• David, St. Luke Mission of Mercy priest (Bills fan)
Would you rather see the Pope or a Bills Super Bowl? “The Pope. If I see the Pope, I will get blessed. If I see the Bills, I will get screwed.”
• Daniel (Mets)
“I started out as a Yankees fan, but Mets fans just seem a lot nicer ... Mets fans take a lot of punishment, though.”
• Fr. Richard Rock, St. John’s University Campus Minister for Athletics (Yankees)
“Yankees in 5 this year. They are going to do it for Yogi!”
• Salesian Sisters of Don Bosco (from left): Tango (Steelers, Giants), Sr. Helen (Canadiens), Sr. Janet (Saints), Sr. Juliet (Magic, Heat)
Would you trade your tickets to see the Pope for tickets to see your favorite team in the playoffs?
Tango: "Not even the Super Bowl!”
• Scott (Yankees, Mets, Expos)
“I am Yankees fan, but lately I have been pulling for the Mets, though. I like their young pitching.”
• Sergio, Luis, Jonathan, Kellenberg Memorial High (FC Barcelona)
Would you rather see Barcelona or the Pope? “Definitely the Pope”
• Mychal ("Anti-Yankees Fan"), Tom (Yankees)
Mychal: “In my house growing up we could never say hate, so we would say we disliked the Yankees.... I wore this jacket today for two reasons: So the Holy Father would bless the Red Sox and Patriots, and the B for my Jewish friend Bernie Sanders.”
• Tom (Yankees)
“My wife watches the Yankees more than me, but she is waiting at home today”