Cincinnati Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco will have season-ending hip surgery later this month.
Mesoraco will have the operation June 29 in New York to repair an impingement in his left hip. Dr. Bryan Kelly will perform the surgery assisted by Reds medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek.
Mesoraco, 27, has not played since May 20 and has not taken the field since April 12. Earlier this month, Reds manager Bryan Price said Mesoraco might play in the outfield in order to get him some at-bats. The 2014 All-Star began a rehab assignment playing outfield at Triple A Louisville, but exited early in his third game of playing leftfield on June 10 and shut down the comeback attempt.
Mesoraco told reporters on Saturday that he did not expect the surgery to affect his readiness for next season.
“I’ll be perfectly fine,” he said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I expect to be able to start my offseason workouts the same time I would, beginning of November. I expect to start my catching and everything the beginning of January, the same time I normally would. This certainly hasn’t messed up the timing for next year at all. What we were trying to do was get it possible so I could help out this year and it hasn’t. This is the right time to go ahead and get it done.”
Over 23 games with the Reds this season, Mesoraco hit .178 with two RBIs and a .519 OPS over 45 at-bats.
Last season, he hit .273 with 25 home runs, 80 RBIs and an .893 OPS over 114 games en route to his All-Star Game appearance.
- Mike Fiammetta