Grounds crew members cover the field during a rain delay during the seventh inning of a baseball game between the New York Mets and the Cincinnati Reds, Saturday, June 27, 2015, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Frank Franklin II
June 28, 2015

NEW YORK (AP) Skip Schumaker kept the Reds in position to win with two outstanding defensive plays in one inning. Their bats and infielders were the reason Cincinnati fell short.

Two botched plays in the 13th inning led to Dilson Herrera scoring the run that finally lifted the New York Mets to a 2-1 victory over Cincinnati on Sunday in the completion of a game suspended by rain a day earlier.

Curtis Granderson homered for New York and Brandon Phillips had an RBI double for the Reds on Saturday before the game was cut short after six innings with the score tied 1-all.

''We wouldn't have been in that situation to still be in the game in those late innings if Shu hadn't made those great plays in the seventh inning,'' manager Bryan Price said.

Schumaker dazzled in the bottom of the seventh, with a steady drizzle coming down. He made a lunging, tumbling catch on Ruben Tejada's drive into the corner for the first out. Then he fielded the carom of Lucas Duda's smash off the wall and threw perfectly to second base to get Duda trying to stretch it into a double.

Not to be outdone, Gold Glove center fielder Juan Lagares of the Mets jumped at the wall in left-center to rob Jay Bruce of a homer in the eighth.

Granderson had a big hit in the 13th, a single to right field off Nate Adcock (0-1) after Herrera drew a leadoff walk. Herrera raced to third base, and the Reds brought their infield in.

Eugenio Suarez, who was pinch-hitting in the top half when Ivan DeJesus Jr. was caught stealing to end the inning, could not handle Tejada's grounder to shortstop for an error that loaded the bases.

Cincinnati then brought in Schumaker to form a five-man infield.

Coming to bat almost 24 hours after the first pitch was thrown Saturday, Duda hit a high chopper to first baseman Joey Votto, who leaped and initially snagged the ball before it fell out of his glove, giving him no play. Herrera slid home to give the Mets their third straight win without scoring more than two runs in any of them.

''We won the game. That's the only good thing that happened, besides the pitching,'' manager Terry Collins said.

Bobby Parnell (1-0) pitched an inning in his sixth appearance since returning from Tommy John surgery. He earned his first win since June 6, 2013.

Reds slugger Todd Frazier fouled out with the bases loaded in the seventh, and both struggling lineups had chances to score in the late innings.

New York failed to take advantage of a two-base error by Votto in the 11th and went 0 for 15 with runners in scoring position for the game. The Reds left 12 on base.

Sunday's regularly scheduled game featured the heralded debut of Mets lefty Steven Matz, who grew up about an hour from Citi Field on Long Island. He was called up as New York's 26th player on the roster.

Matt Harvey gave up a run over six solid innings in the rain Saturday night before being lifted for a pinch-hitter.

Carlos Torres was announced as the Mets' first reliever, but the game was suspended before he took the mound.

When the game restarted, 20 minutes after the planned time because of more early rain in New York, the official scorer announced Reds rookie right-hander Michael Lorenzen's line - he was lifted in the sixth inning Saturday night.

The Reds loaded the bases in the seventh, but Hansel Robles got Frazier to foul out.

Lorenzen matched Harvey most of the way Saturday and received relief help from Manny Parra, who retired Granderson on a 3-1 pitch with the bases loaded to end the sixth.

With the rain getting heavier, umpires stopped play and signaled for the tarp. The game was called following a 53-minute delay.

Phillips' double gave him a hit in all 31 road games he's played against the Mets.


Reds: OF Jason Bourgeois (broken left shoulder) was activated from the 60-day disabled list and added to the roster as the 26th man for the originally scheduled game. To make room on the 40-man roster, the Reds transferred RHP Jon Moscot to the 60-day DL.

Mets: INF Daniel Murphy (strained left quadriceps) went 1 for 3 and played five innings at third base in a rehab game with Class A St. Lucie. He could be back with the Mets on Tuesday.


Reds: RHP Josh Smith made his second major league start in the series finale.

Mets: The 24-year-old Matz was 7-4 with a 2.19 ERA and 94 strikeouts in 90 1-3 innings for Triple-A Las Vegas.


AP Baseball Writer Mike Fitzpatrick contributed to this report.

You May Like

Eagle (-2)
Birdie (-1)
Bogey (+1)
Double Bogey (+2)