MLB trade rumors: Latest news, buzz around potential deadline deals
Major League Baseball's trade deadline (Friday, July 31 at 4 p.m. ET) is approaching quickly, which means it’s time to gather the latest rumors and buzz. Which players might be on the move? Which teams are looking to buy, and which teams are trying to sell?
This week, SI.com's Jay Jaffe rounded up a list of the best players who will likely be available at the trade deadline, including Cole Hamels of the Phillies, Johnny Cueto and Aroldis Chapman of the Reds, Carlos Gomez of the Brewers and Justin Upton of the Padres.
• The Philles and the Rangers have returned to talks about a trade involving Cole Hamels, reports T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com. Sullivan's sources described the chances of a deal happening as a "maybe."
• The White Sox are asking for four players in return for pitcher Jeff Samardzija, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Samardzija, 30, has a 3.91 ERA and a 7-5 record in 20 starts for Chicago this season.
• The Padres are open to trading any of their starting pitchers, and are listening to offers for at least half of their staff, reports ESPN's Jayson Stark. They are especially hoping to trade starters James Shields and Andrew Cashner, Stark says. Outfielder Justin Upton is also expected to be traded, with the Orioles and Mets his most likely destinations, according to Heyman.
• The Astros are not out of the trade market after trading for Scott Kazmir on Thursday, Stark reports. The team is still searching for relief pitchers and corner outfielders who can hit. The Astros are one game back from first place behind the Angels in the AL West.
• The Athletics are “drawing heavy interest” in utility player Ben Zobrist, Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports. According to Rosenthal, the deal is ”unlikely to happen quickly” because the team still needs time to look through all the trade proposals.
• Two Reds officials observed Nationals pitching prospect Erick Fedde, the Nationals' first-round selection in 2014, on Thursday night, Rosenthal reports. Washington is in need of help in the bullpen, and has expressed interest in Chapman.
• The Cubs and Phillies have been discussing a trade involving Hamels, reports CSN Chicago's David Kaplan. Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro and former first-round pick Javier Baez are reportedly available for trade in the right deal, but the Phillies were not interested, Stark reported.
• The Pirates are reportedly working on another trade, this time for a reliever, according to Rosenthal. The Pirates traded minor-league pitcher Yhonathan Barrios and cash to the Brewers for third baseman Aramis Ramirez on Thursday.
• Because the Pirates acquired Ramirez, it is “very likely” they will trade Pedro Alvarez, according to SB Nation's Chris Cotillo. Alvarez, who is in his second year of transitioning from third to first base, is being actively shopped by Pittsburgh. As one general manager told Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan, "[The] Pirates want to get rid of him. They're offering him to everybody."
• The Cubs and Blue Jays reportedly had scouts at David Price's start in Detroit on Friday, according to Morosi. Both have been rumored to be interested in trading for the pitcher, though Kaplan reports that Price is not yet officially on the trade block.