The off-season hot stove is fully aflame. with trade rumors and free agency decisions coming down the pipeline.
The off-season hot stove is warming up with trade rumors and free agency decisions coming down the pipeline. The rumor mill has picked back up after a brief lull when the passage of a new collective bargaining agreement was in question, but now that the new CBA is in place free-agent dealings have commenced.
The biggest free agent taken off the market so far has been outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, who re-signed with the New York Mets last week for four years and $100 million. Top-tier relievers Kenley Jansen and Aroldis Chapman are still available.
Keep up to date on the latest MLB news and rumors below:
• The Rangers and outfielder Carlos Gomez have agreed to a new one-year contract, pending a physical, according to multiple reports. Jon Heyman of FanRag sports reports the deal is worth $11.5 million.
• The Cubs are close to a deal for Royals closer Wade Davis, Fox Sports’s Ken Rosenthal reports. According to Rosenthal, the deal is heavily dependent on Davis’s medical information. The Nationals are making a late push to land Davis, according to Jayson Stark of ESPN.
• Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has agreed to spend on high-priced closers Kenley Jansen and Aroldis Chapman, should the front office be able to secure a trade, Stark reports.
• Chapman has an offer worth $92 million on the table from an unnamed team, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports the Marlins are not believed to be that team, but are intent on landing a high-profile closer. Heyman adds that the Yankees are pursuing Chapman hard.
• The Indians have had discussions with Mark Trumbo, Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Bautista as they pursue a righthanded power hitter, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.They are also in conversation with Mike Napoli about a return.
• The Rays have agreed to a two-year deal with catcher Wilson Ramos, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The deal is pending a physical, given Ramos is currently rehabbing after tearing his ACL last season.
• The Blue Jays met with Jose Bautista on Tuesday and have resumed discussions on a new contract with him, according to Jon Heyman of Fanrag Sports.
• The Diamondbacks have agreed to a $2.75 million deal, with incentives, with reliever Fernando Rodney, according to Heyman. Heyman adds that the plan is for Rodney to be Arizona’s closer.
• The Nationals have interest in trading for White Sox lefthander Jose Quintana, according to Heyman.
• There’s an ‘increasing expectation’ that the Royals are getting close to trading closer Wade Davis, according to Yahoo Sports’s Jeff Passan. Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports the Royals want to move Davis and outfielder Jarrod Dyson, who has interest from Oakland.
• The Red Sox have agreed to a deal with free agent first baseman Mitch Moreland, according to Fox Sports’s Ken Rosenthal.
• The Baltimore Orioles have pulled their four-year offer to Mark Trumbo, according to FanRag Sports’s Jon Heyman. The Colorado Rockies and the Texas Rangers are interested in him. Fox Sports’s Ken Rosenthal reports the Orioles and Rockies are considered strong suitors for Trumbo. ESPN’s Jim Bowden reports the Mariners are in ‘serious talks’ with Trumbo as well.
• The Yankees are listening to offers for outfielder Brett Gardner, according to MLB.com's Bryan Hoch.
• The Chicago White Sox and Boston Red Sox agreed to a deal for ace Chris Sale in exchange for top prospect infielder Yoan Moncada, right-hander Michael Kopech, outfielder Luis Basabe and reliever Victor Diaz.
• Offers for closer Aroldis Chapman have passed the $80 million threshold, according to FanRag Sports's Jon Heyman. The New York Yankees remain very high on bringing back Chapman. The Washington Nationals are also interested after losing Mark Melancon.
• More deals could follow Sale out of Chicago as the Los Angeles Dodgers are interested in third baseman Todd Frazier, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.
• The Arizona Diamondbacks have added former starting pitcher Dan Haren as pitching strategist. He will work with the front office, Major League coaching staff, and analytics department, the team announced.
• The Baltimore Orioles have not closed the door on re-signing free-agent catcher Matt Wieters, reports Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports.
• Six teams are in discussions with free agent left-hander Jorge De La Rosa, SB Nation's Chris Cotillo reports.
• The Milwaukee Brewers traded reliever Tyler Thornburg to the Boston Red Sox for Class A pitcher Josh Pennington, reports the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
• ESPN's Jayson Stark reports that the Red Sox appear "very unlikely" to go after free-agent slugger Edwin Encarnacion.
• The Seattle Mariners are in continued talks with first baseman Mike Napoli, reports Crasnick.