The Winter Meetings are less than two weeks away, and it is expected that most of the blockbuster deals that could happen will during the week in Las Vegas.
Teams are willing to offer big paydays for needed replacements and reinforcements, with Bryce Harper and Manny Machado expected to take home the largest paydays this offseason.
While waiting for those sluggers to come off the market, the starting pitching hot stove is heating up. The Yankees struck the biggest blow last week trading for Seattle Mariners starter James Paxton, and could look to add another starter or two to bolster their rotation.
Here's all of the latest rumors and transactions around baseball:
• The blockbuster deal between the Mets and Mariners for Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz is expected to be completed by Friday. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• Free agent pitcher Patrick Corbin's younger brother put on a Yankees hat during his best-man speech at Corbin's recent wedding. The gesture "elicited a great applause." (Ken Rosenthal, MLB Network)
• The Mariners are weighing the Mets deal for Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz compared to others they've received. The framework of the deal would involve New York sending prospects Justin Dunn and Jarred Kelenic and the bad contracts of Jay Bruce, Jason Vargas and Anthony Swarzak. (Andy Martino, SNY)
• Free-agent pitcher Garrett Richards has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Diego Padres worth around $15 million. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• The Los Angeles Dodgers and Cleveland Indians are continuing trade discussions over ace Corey Kluber. A trade could possibly involve sending Yasiel Puig with another player to Cleveland. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• The Cinicinnati Reds are "all over" free-agent pitcher Dallas Keuchel and think he would be a good fit to pitch in Great American Ballpark. (Jon Heyman, Fancred)
• Richards has offers from the Los Angeles Dodgers and Padres. Richards, 30, underwent Tommy John surgery in July. (Jon Heyman, Fancred)
• OF Jarred Kelenic and RHP Justin Dunn are among the New York Mets prospects being considered in trade talks with the Seattle Mariners on a possible deal to send Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz to New York. (Ken Rosenthal, The Athletic)
• Mets prospect 2B Jeff McNeil is also being considered in the deal. (Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com)
• The Mets do not feel like they are close to a deal for Diaz and Cano but are "definitely in discussion" with the Seattle Mariners. (Joel Sherman, New York Post)
• There is "increasing expectation" the Mariners are nearing a deal to send Cano and Diaz to the Mets. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• Baseball executives around the league think Manny Machado will sign with the Phillies, and Harper will re-sign with the Nationals. (Buster Olney, ESPN.com)
• Free–agent pitcher Patrick Corbin met with the Washington Nationals and are set to meet with the New York Yankees on Thursday. (Jamal Collier, MLB.com)
• The Chicago Cubs acquired infielder Ronald Torreyes from the Yankees in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. (Team announcement)
• The Toronto Blue Jays have discussed trading Russell Martin and the Pittsburgh Pirates are open to dealing Francisco Cervelli. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports)
• The Astros are showing continued interest in free agent Nathan Eovaldi. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• Free agent center fielder A.J. Pollock is seek deal close to what Lorenzo Cain signed with the Brewers. Cain inked a 5-year, $80 million deal with Milwaukee last offseason. (Bob Nightengale, USA Today)
• Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos said the team may not have the budget to invest in a high-end closer, like Craig Kimbrel. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• Padres outfielder Franmil Reyes will undergo surgery Thursday to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. (Dennis Lin, The Athletic)