Texas Rangers (3-2-2) at Chicago Cubs (4-2-1)
Monday, March 8, 2021
1:05 PM MT (2:05 PM CT)
Sloan Park | Mesa, AZ
TEX: RHP Kohei Arihara (0-0, 13.50 ERA)
CHC: RHP Zach Davies (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Monday's game will only be carried by Chicago's television broadcast on Marquee.
Unique Rules in Spring Training
Monday's game between the Rangers and Cubs will be seven official innings. According to Major League Baseball's 2021 Operations Manual, games up to March 13 can be shortened if both managers agree.
There is also a temporary rule in place that allows for managers of a defensive team to end (or roll) an inning prior to three outs following any completed plate appearance, provided the pitcher has thrown more than 20 pitches.
Texas Rangers Starting Lineup
- CF Leody Taveras
- 2B Nick Solak
- LF Willie Calhoun
- DH David Dahl
- RF Ronald Guzmán
- C Jose Trevino
- 1B Nate Lowe
- SS Charlie Culberson
- 3B Andy Ibáñez
Chicago Cubs Starting Lineup
- CF Ian Happ
- 1B Anthony Rizzo
- 3B Kris Bryant
- LF Joc Pederson
- DH Javier Báez
- 2B David Bote
- SS Nico Hoerner
- RF Ildemaro Vargas
- C P.J. Higgins
Texas Rangers Scheduled Pitchers
- RHP Kohei Arihara (three innings)
- LHP John King (two innings)
- RHP Fernery Ozuna
- RHP Spencer Patton
- Brett Martin (back spasms): Martin was scratched from last Saturday's game against the Diamondbacks. He was scheduled to pitch one inning.
- David Dahl (right shoulder surgery): No restrictions at the plate. Dahl has hit as a designated hitter throughout Cactus League play and had no issues. Progressing well in throwing program.
- Demarcus Evans (right lat strain): Has yet to throw off a mound. Will not be ready for the start of the season. The Rangers expect him to be able to throw off a mound in mid-March.
- Joely Rodríguez (sprained ankle): Rodríguez's ankle is no longer bothering him, but he is having to build up arm strength since the injury set him back. His chances of being available on Opening Day are in doubt.
- Brock Burke (left shoulder surgery): The Rangers are taking it slow with him coming off surgery in 2020. They like his progress so far, but have no urgency to rush him.
- Sam Huff (grade 2 hamstring strain): Still in the rehab process. Should get an MRI sometime later this week.
- Anderson Tejeda (right elbow infection): GM Chris Young announced the infection last Tuesday. Tejeda is currently being evaluated by the Rangers medical staff.
LIVE In-Game Updates
2:07 CT: Leody Taveras grounds out weakly to shortstop on the first pitch of the game, and we're underway in Mesa.
2:10 CT: Zach Davies retires the Rangers in order with three ground balls in the top of the first inning.
2:17 CT: RUN. Joc Pederson lines an RBI single into right field in the bottom of the first. Cubs lead 1-0.
2:21 CT: Two infield errors allow the Cubs to load the bases with one out, but Arihara gets David Bote to ground into a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning. Cubs lead 1-0.
2:28 CT: Ronald Guzmán and Jose Trevino reach base with one out, but Nate Lowe grounds into an inning-ending double play. Cubs lead 1-0.
2:34 CT: Arihara retires the Cubs in order in the bottom of the second inning. Cubs lead 1-0.
2:39 CT: Davies has another 1-2-3 inning. Rangers are still looking for their first hit of the ball game. Cubs lead 1-0.
2:46 CT: Arihara pitches another perfect inning in the bottom of the third. Cubs lead 1-0.
2:48 CT: Kohl Stewart is in to pitch for the Cubs.
2:56 CT: David Dahl lines a two-out double into left-center, but Stewart gets Guzmán to bounce out to second base to end the inning. Cubs lead 1-0.
2:57 CT: John King is in to pitch for the Rangers.
3:05 CT: RUN. Nico Hoerner lines an RBI-single into right-center field. A strong throw from Taveras keeps Javier Báez at third base. Cubs lead 2-0.
3:09 CT: King limits the damage, getting out of the inning with just the one run allowed. Cubs lead 2-0.
3:21 CT: With Leody Taveras batting, P.J. Higgins catches Jose Trevino napping and picks him off at second base to end the top of the fifth inning. Cubs lead 2-0.
3:28 CT: In his second inning of work, John King is replaced by Sam Gaviglio in the bottom of the fifth with one out and one on.
3:37 CT: HOME RUN. After the Cubs pull off a double steal to make it 3-0, Javier Báez smashes a three-run home run off Gaviglio. Cubs lead 6-0.
3:41 CT: RUN. Ildemaro Vargas drives in Hoerner with an RBI single off Gaviglio, who can only record one out before Chris Woodward rolls the inning. To the top of the sixth... Cubs lead 7-0.
3:50 CT: The Rangers are retired in order in the top of the sixth inning. Cubs lead 7-0.
3:56 CT: RUN. Taylor Gushue drives in Tyler Payne with an RBI double off Fernery Ozuna. Cubs lead 8-0.
4:07 CT: Ozuna is able to limit the damage and get out of the inning with only one run scoring. Cubs lead 8-0.
4:25 CT: HOME RUN. Chase Strumpf demolishes a solo home run to left field off Spencer Patton in the bottom of the seventh. Cubs lead 9-0.
4:29 CT: Patton gets the final out of the inning, but the Cubs walk away victorious 9-0.