Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has commended Conor McGregor for “standing up for what he believes his right,” according to Damon Martin of Fox Sports.
McGregor said in tweet Tuesday that he has decided to “retire young,” but on Thursday he released a statement on Facebook clarifying that he was not retired, but instead wanted to focus less on UFC promotion and more on fight preparation.
UFC president Dana White announced Tuesday that McGregor had been pulled from UFC 200 for failing to appear at a pre-fight press conference.
“At the end of the day, business is business and the guy obviously has respect for himself and his talent and fights like this will help fighters in the future,” Jones said. “I respect his willingness to fight for what's right.”
McGregor was slated to take on Nate Diaz at UFC 200 in July.