Inside look at blue-chipper Wayne Lyons' recruiting questionnaire
Bush said most coaches have been happy to fill out the questionnaire. Some have sent back responses in excess of 15 pages. That's fine with Lyons, who
Coach, the following are a list of the many questions that Wayne and I have regarding this recruiting process, your school and the football program. If you would be so kind as to return your response to us by June 19, 2010, this will give us a chance to review them all during our summer break. It is our goal to have the list cut down by the end of the high school summer season in July 2010. Thank you for your time.
This document is in Microsoft Word and you can provide your response directly under the questions provided.
1. What are the typical weather conditions during the football season?
2. What type of summer program/schedule do you have for the football players?
3. Are players required to attend summer school?
4. If my mom had to fly to see me play, what is the best airport to fly into from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.?
5. How far is the commute from the airport to your campus?
6. What are the most economical lodgings, near your school, which are available during game time for my mom?
7. Will transportation be needed when my mom visits for games? i.e., will she need to rent a car or are lodging accommodations close enough to the school?
8. Will Wayne's scholarship include funding for the summer?
9. Are there summer jobs available for football players?
10. What provisions do you have if Wayne was to sustain a career-ending injury?
11. Does your school have an organized Parent-Support Group that is specific to football? All athletics?
12. What type of living accommodations do the football players have? Apartment, dorm, etc.
13. How far are the living quarters from the main location of the academic buildings? From the football facilities?
14. What time does the first class start at your school?
15. What time do the football players start their day during the season? Offseason?
16. Do you have a full-time physician assigned to your football program?
17. How many athletic trainers does your program have?
18. What are the procedures if athletes sustain non-athletic health issues? Such as catching the flu, colds or other minor health issues.
19. What type of insurance is covered (if any) under Wayne's scholarship? i.e. health, eye, dental, etc...
20. If there is an emergency and Wayne needs to get home within a week's notice, are there any provisions available under his scholarship?
21. Being that Wayne is from a southern state with a warm climate: Are there any provisions under his scholarship that would provide funds for clothing to accommodate the northern weather?
22. Please describe the neighborhood (with a five-mile radius) that surrounds your school.
23. What is the distance to the nearest department store from where the players live?
24. What percentage of your players lives on campus?
25. Will it be necessary or advantageous for Wayne to have a car?
26. What is the percentage of African-Americans that live in your school's city?
27. If players elect not to attend summer school but prefer to remain at the school and work, are they permitted to stay on campus or will they require off-campus housing for the summer?
28. What is the average course load for players during the season?
29. What is the average cost of apartments/off-campus living should players require summer housing not provided by the scholarship?
30. What type of public transportation is available for players needing to get to a department store?
31. How many undergraduate students does your school have?
32. What is the average class size for undergraduate courses? Professor-to-student ratio?
33. How many seniors/graduates have you had for the past five years? Year-by-year?
34. How many football players do you currently have that are engineering majors?
35. How many football players have graduated with an engineering degree in the past five years? Year-by-year? Please list their names.
36. How many African-American football players have graduated with their degree (any major -- four- and five-year seniors) in the past five years? Year-by-year?
37. How many African-American players have graduated with an engineering degree in the past five years? Year-by-year? Please list their names.
38. What are the admissions requirements beyond the NCAA sliding scale? i.e. GPA, test scores.
39. What is the coldest temperature your city gets?
40. What are the procedures at your school if Wayne was to receive an academic (financial) scholarship from a private organization that is sent directly to the college? Will he be allowed to receive the scholarship or will the dollar amount be subtracted from the scholarship provided by the athletic department?
41. If Wayne does not qualify for Financial Aid (Grants), how will this impact his scholarship?
42. If Wayne didn't attend summer school but wanted to remain at the school, would he have to provide his own living accommodations or can he live on campus?
43. Where do you see Wayne playing coming into your school's program?
44. How many safeties have you brought in during the last two (2) recruiting cycles?
45. How many safeties do you anticipate leaving after the 2010 season?
46. How do you think Wayne can impact your football program?
47. How many years has your head coach been at your school? Coached college FB? Coached in the NFL?
48. How many years has your DB's coach been at your school? Coached college FB? Coached in the NFL?
49. What is the biggest benefit to Wayne attending your school?
50. What do you feel are Wayne's attributes that he brings to the table as a recruit?
Again, we would like to thank you for taking time to provide responses to our questions.
Wayne Lyons and Gwen Bush (mom)